The Training Center at the PTC
Zürichobersee will be an ideal education and training facility for all
interested professional societies, universities, hospitals, companies and colleges.
The intended education and training programs shall serve for the demands in the following topics:
- Medical operation of a proton therapy system
- Beam application methods
- Technical, non-clinical operation, Radiation Physics
- Service and maintenance of proton therapy systems
- Particle accelerators
- General Radiation Oncology
The training center addresses
its intended education and training programs to:
- Medical specialists (or doctors-in-training)
- Physicists (or medical / radiation / accelerator physicists-in-training)
- Students in medicine, physics and medical engineering
Besides professors and teachers
from collaborating universities and hospital partners, guest teachers from abroad
will be appointed too.
There are stringent reasons to pay attention to training and education for medical and technical staff. Manufacturers are offering comfortable, user friendly service and maintenance programs often including full technical non-clinical operation like IBA's "Platinum Program", this on the other hand leads to remarkable operating costs. For these cost reasons the facilities are challenged to develop own technical operation programs to contribute with in-house efforts to reduce operational costs.
Well educated technical staff will be a basic prerequisite for each facility, because
- Radiation protection regarding
physics and technical operation is always the responsibility of the facility.
This includes the quality of treatment, uncompromising assurance of this quality
and safety for patients and staff.
- An effective cost reduction
can be achieved if qualified technical personnel can contribute with in-house
efforts to the maintenance program - in agreement with the manufacturer.
- Internal expertise is of high value in this consent, it makes the facility technically sovereign and technical perturbations or even breakdowns can be handled rapidly and efficiently.
It is a special advantage of the
education and training center at PTC Zürichobersee that all practical exercises
can be performed directly at the proton therapy system or the linear accelerator.